During the November election of 2022, Maryland voters overwhelmingly approved recreational cannabis after years of medical access. Question 4 on the 2022 ballot passed with a 67.20% margin. Subsequently the Maryland General Assembly passed House Bill 556 and Senate Bill 516, which pave the way for Adult Use Sales beginning on July 1, 2023.
We’ve addressed some of the most common questions below. As dates and new details emerge we will keep this posted updated with the latest.
1. Is cannabis legal for adult use in Maryland?
Yes. On July 1, 2023 Maryland became the 20th state to legalize recreational cannabis sales to adults 21 years and older. Stop in and say hello!
2. How old do I have to be to buy recreational cannabis?
To purchase recreational cannabis, customers must be 21 years or older.
3. What do I need to purchase recreational cannabis? You will need a government-issued photo ID at the point-of-sale that demonstrates that you are 21 years or older. Government-issued IDs include a driver’s license, state ID card, passport/passport card, military ID, tribal card. The identification must not be expired.
4. Where can I get recreational cannabis?
a. Recreational cannabis can only be bought at a State licensed dispensary, like The Apothecarium locations. Stop by and say HIGH!
i. The Apothecarium Dispensary of Cumberland | 100 Beall St, Cumberland, MD 21502
ii. The Apothecarium of Salisbury | 1003 Mt Hermon Rd, Salisbury, MD 21804
5. How much cannabis can I purchase?
Adults 21 years and older will be able to possess up to 1.5 ounces of cannabis flower, up to 12 grams of concentrated cannabis; or a total amount of cannabis products that does not exceed 750 mg of THC. This is known as the “personal use amount.
6. What products/form types are available to purchase?
Adult Use customers will not be able to purchase concentrates or high dose edibles (above 10mg/serving). All other products will be available for Adult Use customers to purchase.
7. What are the benefits of buying cannabis from a dispensary?
All cannabis products sold in approved recreational dispensaries are lab tested for quality and harmful chemicals. Test results can be found on the compliance label of all products.
8. If I have a medical card, can I still purchase recreational cannabis?
Yes. Medical patients can purchase recreational cannabis. You will also be able to purchase concentrates and high dose edibles (above 10mg/serving).
9. How can I learn more about becoming a medical cannabis patient?
You can learn more on the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission website here: https://mmcc.maryland.gov/Pages/process_to_obtain.aspx
10. How much recreational cannabis be taxed?
Recreational cannabis will be taxed at 9% sales tax.
To read more about the legalization of cannabis in Maryland, visit the handy resource page below:
MMCC Website for Adult-Use Cannabis Legalization: https://mmcc.maryland.gov/Pages/Legalization-of-Non-Medical-Cannabis.aspx
View our updated Maryland dispensary listings here!
Top 5 Products Sold in NJ in 2023 Hey, Garden State! The Apothecarium is back with the inside scoop on the hottest green gems that have been leaving our New Jersey dispensaries faster than you...View Post
Top Selling Strains at The Apothecarium New Jersey Dispensaries We talked about the Top Selling Products for NJ in 2023, but now, we will share the crème de la crème - the 2023 Top Selling ...View Post
Rolling Up: Unraveling the Differences Between Joints, Spliffs, and Blunts When it comes to consuming cannabis, the method of delivery can be as diverse as the strains themselves. Rolling up so...View Post